Hawks Hollow Nature Playground
Hawks Hollow is open to the public during regular park hours, from dawn until dusk. Hawks Hollows aims to get children using their imaginations and senses to experience the smells, textures and wonders of the natural world.
2020 Playground Guidelines:
- No more than 50 patrons allowed on a playground at any given time
- Visitors are encouraged to practice social distancing and wear masks
- Avoid crowded playgrounds and minimize physical contact between kids
- Outdoor playground equipment is not sanitized; use at your own risk
- If you or your child feels sick or has any symptoms of COVID-19, stay at home
- Wash hands with soap and water before and after playing or use hand sanitizer
Hawks Hollow features eight interactive learning stations featuring native bird, tree and bug species. With a focus on local plants and wildlife, these learning stations aim to inspire children to explore further on and off the nature playground, nurturing a life-long connection to their environment.
Some of the learning stations include:
- King Fisher Crossing: allows visitors to create art in soil tables and on mud walls, identify webbed bird tracks, manipulate water and learn about the importance of wetlands to birds.
- Songbird Stage: features a wood stage and log seating area with nature based musical instruments for creative musical play.
- Raptor’s Roost: provides a variety of hands-on large motor activities such as a tree ring life cycle, falcon message center, pulley system, optic scopes for bird watching and a multi-level tree house with spiral slide, roped web climbers and a tree top eagles nest overlook.
Hawks Hollow was named an Illinois Park and Recreation Association (IRPA) Outstanding Facility in 2014.
Hawks Hollow is available for birthday parties, school and scout and church groups. For more information, please contact (630) 262-8244. Groups of 12 or more MUST call in advance.
Parents and caregivers MUST supervise and be attentive to children at all times, while letting them play freely.